Mexican Beef Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 500g (1 lb) ground beef (mince), lean
- 2 packets El Paso Chilli spice mix
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup long grain white rice , uncooked
- 2.5 cups (625 ml) chicken broth/stock
- 2 cobs sweet corn kernels 400g can black beans , drained
- 1 red and 1 green capsicum , diced
- 1 cup green onions/shallots
- 2 cups (200g) cheese
Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook 1 1/2 minutes until onion is translucent.
Add beef and cook, breaking it up as you go, until you no longer see raw meat (about 2 minutes).
Add El Paso Chili Spices packets and cook for 30 seconds.
Add capsicums and cook for 1 minute.
Add tomato paste and broth, stir to mix in.
Add rice, corn and black beans.
Stir, bring to simmer then cover and lower heat to medium low (simmering gently). Cook 15 minutes.
Remove lid, quickly stir through green onion and HALF the cheese.
Smooth top then sprinkle on remaining cheese. Cover and leave for 1 minute just to melt cheese.
Remove from stove and serve immediately, garnished with more green onion if desired.