Chilli Con Carne with Sweet Potato Fries
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander roots and stems
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoons ground chilli powder, to taste
- 500g beef mince
- 2 x 410g cans tomatoes
- 160ml (2/3 cup) water
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander, plus extra whole leaves, to serve
- 800g small sweet potatoes, scrubbed, cut into wedges
- Grated cheddar, to serve
- Sour cream, to serve
- Avocado slices
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook onion and capsicum, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add coriander root and stem, and garlic. Cook until aromatic. Add cumin, paprika, oregano, ground coriander and chilli. Cook, stirring, until aromatic.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon oil and mince. Stir for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in tomato and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes. Stir in beans. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Season. Stir in chopped coriander.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 210C/190C fan forced. Place sweet potato on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with remaining oil. Season. Toss to coat. Cook, turning halfway, for 40-45 minutes or until caramelised.
Serve chilli con carne with sweet potato fries, cheese, sour cream, avocado slices and extra coriander.